Saturday, September 3, 2011

So you have a pet?


Fran

I really don't like to separate people and make judgments, but in the case of pet owners and non-pet owners, I have to say there is a totally different mind frame between the two. Someone who has never owned a cat will not for minute get why I get up at 5:45ish in the morning on a Saturday, put on my slippers and shuffle down the stairs to open a can of cat food. Then shuffle back to bed. Nor will they get why I turn my living into a ferret playground for a few hours a day, creating a mess that I will later have to clean up. And then do it all over again the next day.

I have no doubt my life would be simpler without my little zoo--two black cats: Lordie aka Lord Infamous (my daughter didn't know she was a girl when she named her), Francis, the cowardly but loving large male. Two ferrets: Bonnie, the older but sprite little bra-stealing princess and her cohort, Pauley the playful who is in to everything! And finally Giovanni(Gio or G), the stomping around tortoise who should have been named Bulldozer. Maybe they are not easy, but they are worth it!


Gio

I don't know how many times I have been blue and Francis will sense this and come and keep me company. Sometimes he will just stare at me, but even that makes me laugh. You would have to know Francis to know why. He has the rude habit of staring and staring without blinking for long periods of time. Try to beat Fran at a stare-down---impossible:)


Bonnie

Or when Sean, my husband, and I have an argument, Francis steps between us and raises his paw as if to say, QUIET! How can we not stop arguing and laugh. Yes it's the laughter and good feelings they create. Even Gio has his cute habits. Like how he loves green beans and after he eats has a green little ring around his mouth. Sometimes a stray chunk of bean sticking to his cheek. Yes, he does have cheeks!


Fran and Lordie

So no, my sister who never has been fond of animals will not understand any of this. But then again, she doesn't get the soft little wet kisses Bonnie gives me. Nor does she have a companion, long before anybody else is awake for the day, that will share some of her cheese from her cheese bagel. She will not get whipped in the face by a Fran-tail at 4 am either, but that's besides the point.


Pauley

So what is the point? The point is, pets give us the kind of love people can't. With no strings attached. As long as they are fed, that is:)


Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment